The following is a nowhere-near-exhaustive list of things that most people believe but I believe are wrong. And to be truthful, I previously believed almost all of them at some point! Generally, the below statements are simply asserted and accepted as fact regardless of the evidence. In response, I will do the same and assert that the opposite of these statements is true without bothering with the pesky evidence. :) I am by no means an expert, but I read an awful lot. Sometimes I even read those boring medical studies that no one reads.
Anyhow, I have only included the most ubiquitous of beliefs. I have only included statements where you took a random sample of people in first-world, Westernized countries, I bet you would find that over 50% of people would agree with the following statements. But I now agree with none of them.
The List of Lies
- Saturated fats are bad for you
- Vegetable/canola oils and other polyunsaturated oils are better to cook with than butter or lard
- Low-fat yogurt is better for you than full-fat (you may replace "yogurt" with virtually every dairy product)
- For a healthier meal, trim the fat from your meat
- You should limit fat consumption to 20-30% of total calories
- Whole grains are good for you
- Brown rice is better for you than white rice
- Chicken is better for you than beef (or other red meats)
- Eating 5-6 small meals a day and snacking frequently is better than eating 2-3 large meals a day
- Skipping breakfast is bad for you
- Eating a big dinner at night is bad for you
- To fight a cold/bolster your immune system, you should take lots of Vitamin C
- You should eat lots of "antioxidant" foods
- Wear lots of sunscreen to avoid harmful UV rays
- Get a good stretch before you work out
- If you want to lose weight, just do more cardio
- People who run should get shock-absorbing shoes to minimize damage
- You shouldn't work out on an empty stomach
I feel like I'm still missing a number of things, but I suppose these are the big ones. Of course, you should not just assume that I am right and popular opinion is wrong just because you're reading my blog. Do your own research. I'm just putting this out there as something to consider the next time you get some diet/exercise/lifestyle advice.